Monday, March 28, 2005

Jesus died...so we can eat spiral ham?

Vanessa here...

Okay, someone please explain this societal need we have to eat ham on Easter Sunday? I don't get it. It's like American holidays are built around the consumption of mass quantities of a particular food now...and not the holiday itself. Easter...EAT HAM! Fourth of July...EAT BARBEQUE...Thanksgiving...EAT TURKEY OR DIEEEEEEEEEE!!! Not to mention all of the Hallmark holidays that force you off your diets to eat Cadbury eggs, Hershey kisses, candy corn and Peeps for all seasons.

So what is it with the ham? The eggs, bunny rabbits and chocolates, I got...it's for the pagan ritual of fertility, but ham and the crucifixion? Doesn't add up to me. I don't get it. And it's not just that...it's this insatiable urge people have to get mean and nasty at the grocery store when diving for those gold-foiled packets of pig butt. Ham. What's the attraction? Did Mary and Joseph sit down to a Virginia honey baked ham after their son died? No...I don't think so! So, why do we? Why is every ad on the radio "ham on sale" and "get your ham!" Why are all the circulars in the mailboxes for Easter hams on sale? Do people not eat ham the rest of the year? Why the run on honey bakes on one of the holiest days of the year for the Christian religion?

And speaking of that...where does the Christian love go when you're at the super market with your basket filled for your Easter dinner? Out the door...let me tell you what! Stupid me, I decided I wanted some salmon this weekend, so I went to Stoop 'n Shite (better known in New England as Stop 'n Shop.) But little did I know I'd walked into a battle ground almost unseen since the last bit of fighting in Iraq. Mothers with congregations of children flocking them with packages of Peeps and other treats stood around with their carts buttressing each other in front of...the ham counter. Man, I literally saw two women wrestling over the last ham in the case before the butcher rolled out another six foot tray filled with the packages of pork. How is this praising God? Especially when they're jerking it from each other and cursing in strings like sailors on leave.

All because of a 12 pound ham?!?!?! Give me a break!

Ham is salty...so full of sodium, it's not even funny. According to online ham nutritional information, a serving of ham contains over HALF the daily recommendation for sodium intake. Why do this to yourself? Ham is also very fatty. Okay, sure, you can buy less fat hams, but it's still got a high fat content. At least 8 grams per serving. It doesn't go well with other dishes, so you're forced to serve other high fat laden items like potato salad and coleslaw. And then what do you do when Easter passes and you're left with 10 pounds of ham? Ham sandwiches for the next three week? Ham hash? Ham...burgers? Bleck!

The good people at Hormel (one of the pushers of ham) will tell you that ham contains a high level of some of the essential B vitamins, such as B1, B12, and niacin. It is also has phosphorous, zinc, potassium, iron and magnesium, which are important to our daily diet. Oh yeah??? Well...so does a One-a-Day vitamin.

I'm sorry...but I just don't get it. I don't get the furor over purchasing ham and serving it to your loved ones in celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Why not instead...give that ham money to a charity...be nice to people...let them have the ham at the counter instead of cursing at them. Isn't that the lesson of Easter season?

Ahhh well, I'll eat my Cadbury egg and be quiet...until the next Day of Gluttony...when is that...Memorial Day? Eat, eat, eat...

Double Vee

5 Comments:

Anonymous Emily said...

My family has NEVER had ham on Easter (no one likes it)...we had homemade ravioli and lasagna! :)

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Griz said...

Well, I'm from the South, so I grew up with the ham ritual. My grandmother used to serve ham, cornbread dressing (like what you'd serve with turkey) chock full of chestnuts and lime jello with English peas floating in them. No...the woman COULDN'T cook. Ewww...but yeah...we also used to eat boiled eggs for breakfast after we hunted them in her yard. Some years, the Paas dye would seap through too much and you'd end up with a pink egg. It's amazing I lived to see 27! :)

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

We're from Texas so we eat barbeque brisket, which you have to marinade and cook so far in advance you avoid the Easter shopper crowds. :)

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an Italian-American, so we eat ravioli and meatballs. But then we eat that all the time as it is. No difference the holiday. Haha!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was no Easter, nor ham, nor Easter ham growing up in my Buddhist vegan household, and I turned out OK!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training