Friday, May 13, 2005

Big Brother is watching...

Vanessa here...

I know I'm the lamest excuse for a human being, but I called in sick today to avoid the team building laser tag game. Okay...I have a blazing headache from some bad Pinot Noir I had last night and I really don't feel well. Sorry...just not up for the laser tag. It was bad enough doing the "power lunch" for the homeless yesterday. It was so sad seeing people like that and knowing I couldn't really do anything to help them. (One of the really sad, messed up men did comment that he liked my hair.)

Hell, I can barely help myself! Sure, I've got a job, it pays well, but it's not a security blanket. There's no such thing anymore. There aren't any jobs where you work there for 30 years, get your gold watch and retire to Boca Raton. It just doesn't work that way anymore. It's all about the bottom line...profits...making money for the higher ups. And, companies can dismiss you in a heartbeat..."at will" employment. It's a lovely caveat for employers today. Basically, it means you can get your ass thrown out the door for any reason. I have a friend who got fired from a well-known institution in town for having personal files on her computer. Personal files! Did she do her job every day...hell yes...did that matter...hell no. I have another friend who was "asked to leave" because he made too much salary. Well, that's not exactly how they put it to him, but he knew the company was making cuts and they started bullying him and talking about how much they paid him and how they didn't see the tangible results to the point that they forced him to be laid off. He barely got any severance and then, get this, the company sent him a survey to fill out on his work experience there saying it would help them to continue to hire quality people in the future! I told him to tell them to "go screw!" The nerve!

Check this out: Here's a lady in Salt Lake City who lost her job because of her blog. She's at least handled it with humor, but the thought of it scares the ever-loving shit out of me.

Griz has a friend who works downtown who has a blog and will casually mention Company X in her blog...nothing bad or negative, just a reference to other things in her life. Well, one of her co-workers went through her blog (spent like two hours doing it -- that's productive company time, eh?) and placed all of the references into an e-mail and sent it to the boss. The chick was lucky she didn't get fired because of it...she could have! Employers seem to have little tolerance for anyone who does anything too outside the company box and are willing to punish you for it.

I live in fear of losing my job. I work hard, do my job, do what's expected of me and that's it. I'm not one of those people who has to play "let's see who can stay at the office the latest" every night. But, just like many of you, I've got credit card debt, a student loan teetering on the edge of default and parents who keep thinking I should "move home" to Northern Virginia and "settle down." Like having my life here in Boston isn't "settled."

They say the economy's picking up and the job market is stronger than ever...which is good to know. You never know what you might do or say that'll get you booted out the door. It's like you have to arm yourself every morning -- not only for the commute and the weirdos on the Red Line -- but for your own behavior at your company, how you represent yourself...and now, with the explosion of the Internet, blogging and live journals, apparently you're judged by every thought, word and deed. Can't everyone just lighten up...have fun, live your life and let others live theirs? I guess not.

It's a crazy planet full of crazy people, eh? Or maybe I'm just waxing philosophic from all of the Extra Strength Excedrin I've had this morning. Maybe I need more.

I have a DVD from Netflix of the first season of Wonder Woman...I think that's how I'll spend the day. Man...if I had her gold lasso of truth...couldn't I wreak some havoc?

Hang loose!

Double Vee

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I randomly found your blog and I think it is a riot! You have a great way of writing and it keeps me laughing out loud. (complete pun intended.)

J

5:49 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks "J" -- much appreciated!! Hope you'll bookmark me (ouch...will that leave a mark?) and come back to visit often. I love making new friends.

VV

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, great blog. you say exactly what i'm thinking but am too chicken shit to write about myself. i'm one of those who fears big brother and at my company they're really out to get you on things like this. hope you don't get in trouble.

S

5:53 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks to you, too, "S." Wow...I feel like we're in an episode of Men In Black or something. :) Hope you'll come back to enjoy more of my ramblings.

VV

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training