Thursday, June 09, 2005

Don't people own nice shoes anymore?

Vanessa here...

So, I'm downtown after work yesterday to meet up with my roommate, Mia, for dinner and drinks. Man, do I love a plate of fish and chips...mmm...

But, as I'm walking through Government Center, watching the people leaving their offices and headed for their cars or the trains, a particular fashion statement is completely jumping out at me. Now, I don't know if this is a Boston thing or a new trend from Vogue and In Style I just don't know about yet, but it struck me as odd.

Every single woman I saw was wearing $5 flip flops. We're talking shower shoes here!

Women in suits...flip flops.

Women in short skirts...flip flops.

Women in nice tailored pants...flip flops.

Women in dresses..flip flops.

Women in expensive outfits...flip flops.

I do realize there are cute flip flops out there, but I hadn't realized they'd become the be-all and end-all fashion statement for professional Boston women.



Was there a memo somewhere I missed? Are flip flops the new black? And most of them weren't even nice. They were the ones you can get at Old Navy on sale. Or worse...at CVS. Maybe it's that flip flops are the summer equivalent to sneakers. You know, dress nicely for work, but since you have to walk so far, you'll put your sneakers on for the hike. Are the flip flops the warm weather response to that? Or is it just that people are so happy to set their toes free from the three pairs of socks and winter boots that they don't care what they put on their feet?

Do women in New York City do this? Or LA? Or Miami? Okay...well, Miami's got the beach, so that's understandable...but I'm such a shoe person that I don't get this. There are so many cute sandals people can wear. So many shoe stores that will sell you a nice pair of walking shoes for the nice weather. Why resort to cheap, rubber shoes that make an obnoxious noise when you walk?

And yes, I do own two pair of flip flops and they're comfortable shoes. I get that. But I'd never wear them to work. Work is for nice heels, fashionable sandals, professional footwear. How else would I justify my yearly trip to Toronto to buy Italian leather sandals?

Women of Boston...women of the world...toss aside those cheap shoes and go shoe-shopping!

Hang loose,
Double Vee

7 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

i think women's feet, when groomed and polished, are terribly sexy, but i do agree that the rubber shower shoes are a turn off.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They aren't that comfy if you're doing much walking, and think of the squashed toes in crowds. Men haven't switched to flip-flops, they're still wearing those tumorous huge hard leather things. Yowch.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Well, they're better than those ugly Teva sandals that I see people where or birkenstocks! Ooh, where did you find that ad for the cute flip-flops? I would love a couple of pairs. Personally, I wear them, if my sandals are too high to wear comfortably and I have to walk a lot. But I only wear attractive flip-flops, not the cheap-ass kind. Sigerson Morrison makes them with the cute kitten heel.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness someone besides myself has finally noticed this glaring fashion crime, not to mention the assault on the instep and heel. There is absolutely no support in a flip-flop. A person might as well be wearing bed room slippers. Well, just my 2 cents...
Myself, I'm partial to Dansko scandals, though they're absurdly expensive.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Ooo...can't find the link now to the flip flop graphic. Sorry!

Yeah, I'm not against people wearing nice flip flops. I have a $20 pair myself. It's the ones that look like you lost your shoes and stopped in at CVS for a replacement that gets me. Especially when there are sooooo many cute shoes out there to be worn.

VV

9:08 AM  
Anonymous j said...

i can't stand when women have chipped toenail polish. that's a total turnoff.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kathy Holmes said...

Reminds me of when I first moved to San Francisco and women in office suits were wearing running shoes (before it became trendy.) Having left the office scene, I didn't realize they're now wearing flip flops! And in Boston, of all places. I love it!!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training