Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Thank you, Al Gore, for inventing the Internet...

Vanessa here...

Is it just me, or are you an Internet information junkie, as well? I mean, the computer is this extension of me. Attached to my fingers. Wired into my brain. Google is my speed dial. Yahoo News is my connection with planet earth. I can't get enough of wire stories and information and the fact that anything I want to know is seconds away as soon as I type it in.

For example, I'm watching the search for the Alabama teenager in Aruba and absorbing every news article and slide show I can find in hopes of more information. Salon.com, the New York Times and several good blogs keep me posted on the twisted weirdness of this whole new Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise relationship that seems to be orchestrated and maneuvered by the Scientologists. I even know poop on television shows I don't even watch (like Michelle Rodriguez is joining the cast of Lost...how? Why she's been lost on the other side of the island!) See, this information...I can't get enough of it. I have to be in the know.

I know that Governor (I shudder when I type that, thinking it's still a joke) Arnold Schwarzenegger did this "let's fill a California pothole" on television, but according to my handy-dandy Internet resources, I learned that not only was the whole thing staged, but they actually dug the pothole, so he could fill it!

And my favorite of the week, Mr. "I'm the World's Greatest Actor" Russell Crowe once again arrested for being a nasty bastard. Must post the picture for you to see! It's a keeper! (There goes this year's Oscar, Cinderella Man!)



Maybe it's the trivial monster in me or the need to be engulfed in pop culture, but knowledge is power. Through my sources and bookmarks, Googling and Asking Jeeves, I have the world before me. Dictionaries, Thesaurus, newspapers from around the world, entertainment news galore, fan sites, photo blogs, discussion boards, I can order lobsters to be shipped from Main to anywhere around the world. I can order anti-aging cream from France, Vodka from Russia or a t-shirt from the Hard Rock Antarctica. (Well...you get my point.) The coolest thing is, I can talk to anyone about anything. I have the power of the internet at my finger tips!! Bwah ha ha ha ha...I'm Queen of the Wooooooooooooooooold! Okay...maybe I shouldn't have watched Titantic the other night. :)

The power is intoxicating. And it's something we all have. Well, if we have connectivity and a computer. Just last night, I was IMing with a pal of mine in DC and she wanted to know the symptoms for anthrax. (D, you do not have anthrax!) But in a matter of mere seconds, thanks to the trusty DSL and my speedy fingers, I had a link to the CDC with the symptoms spread out. (In case you too need to know.) I felt like a hero, dashing in, saving the day and sharing my knowledge with my pal.

Now, off you go...into that blender-driven world we call the Internet. Google. Fandango. Peapod and IMDb to your heart's content. Knowledge is power and it's there for you!

Hang loose,
Double Vee

6 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

did al gore really say he invented the internet? i thought that was an urban legend.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

LOL! Hey "j" -- are you ever going to reveal yourself to me? :)

Since I'm a Google-Slut, I was quickly able to find the answer for you. Al Gore never said he invented the Internet, it was just something the Bush campaign attached to him in the 2000 election. Here's the deal...

http://www.perkel.com/politics/gore/internet.htm

VV

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Devon said...

Russell Crowe is a dick.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Yes, Crowe is a nasty little bugger isn't he? You would think they would have put him on some kind of medication by now. I mean, this isn't his first incident. That temper of his is legendary.

Makes me wonder though, if he's not misbehaving to get publicity for his new movie. But then again, maybe not, considering he could face some jail time. Still, stars have done crazier things for publicity.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

The movie certainly isn't getting the reviews or the audience that they'd hoped, so I wouldn't be surprised about anything. And while the Oscar hype has already started, we all know that no movies that come out before October are really ever up for consideration. I think Mr. Tough Guy Crowe will be sitting home with the wife and bambino this year. *eg*

VV

11:30 AM  
Anonymous j said...

"LOL! Hey "j" -- are you ever going to reveal yourself to me? :)"

if I did, it wouldn't be as fun, now would it?

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training