Tuesday, July 05, 2005

July 4th...MY independence day...

Vanessa here...

I admit it. I'm a wimp. I called in sick today. It's just me and Barbara the dishwasher here at home on this beautiful, blue Tuesday. Why? Because I'm ill. Ill. Ill. Ill. Not sick like in need of a hospital, but just ill at the turn of events yesterday brought.

So, the beach was great, but over crowded, so we didn't stay long. Then, we decided to hit the Boston Common and walk around. It was gorgeous and the park was full of people. It was nice to take pictures and ride the swan boats (what tourists!) Here are some pictures before I get to the bad (okay...no bad, but sad) news...















Okay...done with the pretty pictures and on to the ugly truth...(I'm being overly dramatic...)

After the Common, all went and had a BBQ at our friend, Dane's, who works on the sales team. He lives near the office, so we grilled out hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, salmon...you name it, it was a feast. Then, around nine, we all headed over to the office in Cambridge, down by the water and Griz's buddy, the super, let us in up on the roof to see the fireworks on the Charles, just across at the Hatch Shell. It really was a fantastic night. We could hear a little bit of the music from the Hatch Shell, but pretty much, we went by the boom box that someone had brought along. When the fireworks started, it was fucking amazing! It was like being right there on the barge where they were taking off from. They exploded over our heads and it was simply magical, let me tell you what.

Then it happened.

Right as the finale was hitting and all of the starbursts were freaking out overhead in arrays of blues, whites, yellows, reds and greens, Larkin Beard...my co-worker and friend, drops down on one knee and asks Mia Pimental, my roommate that I introduced to him...and asks her to marry him. Right there in front of all of us from the office, some of Mia's friends and a handful of people we didn't even know. Right there under the fireworks and in honor of independence day.

And she said, "yes."

Do you see why I'm ill?

And it's not that I'm not happy for them...I am. Totally. And it's not that I wanted Larkin for myself 'cause I didn't. He's a sweetheart and tres cute, but he wasn't for me. That's why I introduced them. But, it's because of this stupid "no dating at work" policy that I can't even consider the plethora of cute guys I'm around every frickin' day. So...someone else (like Mia) gets them. It doesn't help that Mia is drop-dead gorgeous and already had a string of other guys she was keeping handy on the side "just in case," but now she's gone and snagged a husband? She can add an MRS. to her DR. now.

And I'm all alone.

I know...don't cry for me, Argentina, but I am. They're gonna, like, move in together soon which leaves me roommateless. I'd ask Griz, but she's already got a place and we spend enough time with each other as it is. Where am I going to find a roommate? And is it going to be another knockout who'll glom off my co-workers (that I can't farm from) and find HER husband?

It's not fair.

But I know life's not fair.

And I apologize for being a little bit of a baby about this. It's hard to see people pairing off and happy when I have so much trouble finding a guy myself. I'll be happy for Mia and Larkin, I truly will. Like tomorrow. I promise. But for now, it's me and OnDemand TV movies, a pint of Hagen Daaz light Caramel ice cream and the couch. Pouting and pity today. I'll be fine tomorrow.

Must go "run" Barbara while the Freak of Nature landlord is out and about...

Hang loose,
Double Vee

7 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

had that happen to me in college, vv. introduced my roommate to my ex-girlfriend. they dated for a year and then got married. it was hard for me, but chick, you'll survive.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks j...the ice cream is helping. I'm just dreading the inevitable invitation to be a bridesmaid and wear a hideous dress. More ice cream is needed for that.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Emily said...

ahhh...my dream proposal--beneath the glow of fireworks! Of course, I'm happy with the one I got...

*hugs* She's not taking Barbara with her is she?

11:21 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

We haven't discussed the custody of Barbara as of yet since Mia didn't come home last night *snerk*. I'm supposing that since she and Larkin will be getting a place of their owm that will have proper ammenities without needing flood insurance *another snerk* that Barbara will remain with me. Just two old maids...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Hey, V, I know what you mean. I too am alone at the moment. If you check out my blog, you'll read about my close encounter with my friend's cat. I know you're happy for Mia, and now since she's marrying a guy she met through you, she owes you one. Take advantage!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your flowers are goregous! What kind of camera do you use?

Nancy P.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

LOL, Nancy...hope that "goregous" was a typo and not what you really think about my pictures. I have a Minolta DiMAGE Z1 digital camera. Cost some buckage, but it was totally worth it!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training