Thursday, July 07, 2005

Shotgun wedding?

Vanessa here...

Well, from the title...you can guess where this missive is going...



So, I get home from going out to dinner with Griz and a few more friends last night and my roommate, Mia (and her 3 carat diamond) is in the bathroom talking to Ralph on the big white telephone. When she came out, she was pale as the proverbial sheet, so I asked her what's wrong. Here's the convo...

Me: "Are you okay?"

Mia: "Yeah, something I ate, I suppose."

Me: "You look horrible."

Mia: "Thanks, you too."

Me: "You know what I mean."

Mia: "I'm perfect...I'm getting married."

Me: "Yeah, I know...that's awesome."

Mia: "I want you to be my maid of honor, Vanessa."

Awwwwwwwww...moment. (I feel like a schmuck for being upset now.)

Me: "As long as I don't have to wear a hideously cliched bad bridesmaid's dress."

Mia: "I'll let you pick out anything you want. It's up to you. You're going to be my only bridesmaid."

Me: "Really? Don't you have like 10 billion cousins in Fall River and Portugal?"

Mia: "Well, I don't know if they'll be able to get over here in time."

Me: "In time for what?"

Mia: "Larkin and I have decided to get married as soon as possible. Labor Day."

Me: "Are you insane? You'll never be able to plan a wedding in under two months. Why the rush?" (Are they THAT much in love?! Geesh!)

Mia: "Well, we sort of have to..."

Me: "Have to?"

Mia: "Vee...I'm pregnant. And I'm due in February."

O. M. G. Well, that explains everything.

After the initial shock wore off, I agreed to help Mia do anything she needed for the shotgun wedding. Every bride -- even a pregnant one -- deserves a happy and beautiful day.

The sad thing is, though, that I now don't have as much envy for Mia. I mean, yes, she's got a man and a baby on the way and will hopefully live happily ever after. But, I can't help wondering...are they getting married because they desperately love each other or because they "have" to get married? I'll always wonder.

So, no more pouting for me. Just good, supportive friendship. Mia's got bigger fish to fry.

Hang loose,
Double Vee

3 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

ahhh -- the shotgun wedding. how kentucky of them.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous emily said...

You can pick out any dress you want!! YAY!

My father-in-law gave us a 12-gauge for a wedding gift...to thank us for not doing a shotgun..
??

11:12 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

That's hilarious, Emily!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training