Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Surfing from the repair shop...

Vanessa here...

So, my car is making this horrendous noise every time I accelerate, so I called the dealership last night and am now sitting in their waiting room. I have to tell you, these are the most humorless, straight-faced, literal minded people I've ever me.

I was met by Goatee Gerry. He's about two inches shorter than I am and he's the one who did the walk around my car, noting scratches and my VIN, like I'm renting a car or something. I told him what the problem was and he says, "have you been here before?" (Why should that matter?) I said, "yeah, tons of times." He went..."oh, okay." (Whatever!)

Then, we sat at his tiny little desk and he typed in some stuff into his computer. He said "we have to hear the problem. Let me get my guy." (His guy?) So, this tall, balding man who looked a bit like Les Nessman from WKRP in Cincinnati comes out, chomping on a big old wad of gum.

So, this quality assurance guy, Diagnostic Dave, gets in the car with me and says flatly: "drive." I'm like..."left or right?" He points to the left. I mean, honest...a humorless bastard. And, of course, the car doesn't make the sound it's been making the past month. After begging for directions and getting the stone cold "left" or "right," we get to the end of a street and Diagnostic Dave's like "I think I hear what you're hearing. We can go back now." They're going to have to run some diagnostic bullshit to see what's wrong, if anything.

And here I sit. In the waiting room with "Good Morning America" blaring. There's a biker dude with so much ink, you can barely see his skin. He's wearing a backwards (of course) Red Sox hat. There's an older lady in solid pink (I'm not kidding -- hot pink top and light pink pedal pushers) who is fidgeting like a five year old. She keeps getting up and moving around and peaking out the windows like she's waiting for a drug deal to go down. Then, there's Droopy Pants Man who is literally standing in the middle of the room, slack-jawed, eyes glued to the television. There's free coffee that everyone can't get enough of and for me...there's wireless internet connection. (Ahhhh...my connection to the real world.)

As I wait, in what has to be the most boring situation on the planet, I'd love to know what bores you...what is that one thing you have to do that takes so much time, but you hate? Chime in!

Hang loose,
Double Vee

7 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

work bores me. why do you think i read your blog so religiously and pounce on it the moment you post?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

I appreciate that I can entertain you in your boredom "j."

VV

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get really bored when I'm waiting for my kids soccer practice to end. I just sit in the car and zone out. I also get really bored when I go to get my teeth cleaned. The lady never talks to me.

Nancy P.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I get bored when I'm on hold for any length of time and not at a computer.

And whoever invented Muzak should be forced to listen to it for an extended period of time. "I Just Called To Say I Love You" wasn't that good a song to begin with...

8:04 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

I'm totally with you, Nancy and Nikki...those are definite yawn fests.

And LOL on the Muzak! Why is it necessary to have entertainment on an elevator?

VV

8:07 AM  
Anonymous stephanie k. said...

I get really bored in class. I hate school but its necessary. I think the teachers are as bored as we are. I thought grad school was supposed to be challenging. :)

8:08 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Bored is waiting in the grocery checkout line...making my own fun by making bets with myself as to whether or not the ice cream I bought will still be recognized as such or will it mutate into ice milk or worse before I get home.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training