Monday, July 18, 2005

The way to my heart is through my stomach...

Vanessa here...

Well, I hope everyone had as wonderful a weekend as I had. Yes, yes, I've seen the e-mails, I know you want to know about "the date." Well, duh...why do you think I'm here?

Let me just say that after a (several) month drought and some pretty sucky dates before that, I have to report that Saturday night with Chef Boy was...well, it was exquisite. First of all, he's the most polite person I've met in a long time. Holds doors open, opens car doors, pulls chairs out, just all around polite, his-momma-raised-him-right things.

Saturday evening started with Chef Boy coming and picking me up. Even though we were having a home cooked meal at his place, he was nice enough to come and get me. He lives in the South End, near most all of the awesome restaurants in town. He works part-time (kind of like contract work) in three different restaurants, so he really knows his shit. And, because of his crazy schedule, it was great that he could fit me in and make this scrumptious dinner for me.

First course was seared scallops on a salad of spinach with lemon vinaigrette and toasted pumpkin seeds. Then, we moved on to this amazing corn chowder that he made for me. It was like silk on a spoon. The main course was what he called "lobster shepard's pie" which was basically this round mold of mashed potatoes, lobster claws, more potatoes, more lobster and green peas with this amazing Newburg sauce around it. Man, I'm drooling just at the memory. Dessert was lemon tarts and this fantastic dessert ice wine from Newfoundland. Let me tell you what, this boy knows his way around the kitchen. It was like some sexual dance with him...chopping and stirring and preparing and plating.

After dinner, we sat on the couch, listened to a couple of cocktail party CDs he had from Pottery Barn and we just talked. Talked. Talked. Talked.

I found out the following about gorgeous Chef Boy...
  • He was top in his graduating class as Johnson and Wales two years ago and has been trying to find that "perfect" chef job.
  • He likes to sail and has a small boat he inherited from his grandfather...down in Newport, Rhode Island.
  • He's originally from California (born there), but moved to Maine when he was 5, then Virginia when he was 9 and then Rhode Island when he was 13.
  • His eyelashes are almost gold.
  • He has a scar between his left index finger and this thumb where he had a run-in with a very sharp kitchen knife his first year of culinary school.
  • His favorite vegetable to cook with is a yellow squash.
  • He thinks I've got one of the most genuine smiles he's ever seen.
  • He has Moulin Rouge in his DVD collection (the sign of a true romantic!)
  • He's a Buddhist.
  • He hates coffee, hates the smell, hates the taste, but he loves cooking with it.
  • His parents have been married for 35 years.
  • His sister has four cats. (And no, she's not some old maid with nothing better to do.)
  • He's never read a Harry Potter book. (Neither have I!)
  • Every Mother's Day, he goes to Rhode Island to make his mother eggs Florentine
  • His favorite meal is breakfast in bed.

Is this guy too perfect or what? I mean, I actually, at one point in the evening, pinched myself to make sure I was really having this date. What's wrong with this guy? He's cute, he's got a fine body, he can cook, he's a gentleman, he's sweet, romantic, sensitive and he's not gay...and boy, oh boy, can he kiss. Yes, there was plenty of kissing. But thank you...I'm a lady, so that's all you'll get out of me.

So, while I muse on having lunch on Tuesday with Chef Boy, why don't you pipe up about the things that attract you (besides looks) in a great guy. Come on...we love lists around here!

Hang loose,
Double Vee

6 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

i'm not attracted to guys.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

LOL...well, the question was sort of for the ladies, j, but why don't you tell us what attracts you in a girl?

VV

8:21 AM  
Anonymous j said...

1. humor
2. nice lips
3. clean hair
4. non-smoker
5. doesn't live with her parents
6. likes heavy metal

8:25 AM  
Blogger Kathy Holmes said...

VV - you are the queen of lists! Gotta love 'em!

As for what I find attractive in a guy - it's all about the eyes (the key to the soul.)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Okay, I think the "likes heavy metal" was the deal-breaker for me. Unless you count Coldplay as heavy metal ... very boring I am.

Sounds like the date was amazing VV -- a chef is one to keep -- and the kissing doesn't sound too bad either!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

*sigh*
This has the makings of a Wonderful Romance book. Its so perfect....and art imitates life many times.
You go girl!

As far as what grabs the hormones? Well dressed. Taller than me. Dark eyes and olive toned skin.
Moustache only....can wear jewelery with flair and masculinity without being garish.
Sense of humor with a good dose of sensuous double entendres. Willing to change diapers *that's a clincher!*

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training