Friday, August 05, 2005

I'm starting to feel old...

Vanessa here...

Well, so we're in the midst of our annual sales meeting (okay, so it ends tomorrow, but still.) I've been trapped in a ballroom at the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge with all of our sales people -- both inside and throughout the country. It's men in Tommy Hilfiger pants and shirts, LiveStrong bracelets and buzz cuts standing around talking about bottom lines and sales figures and customer satisfaction while practicing their golf swings. I so don't fit into this world. However, the checks clear.

So, this chief something-or-other of something like finance drones on for 45 minutes about profit and loss statements, lulling us all to sleep with his monotone, but I was distracted by cuteness.

There he was...in my peripherals. To my left. In a green plaid shirt and white pants. (I'll forgive him the white pants since it's not Labor Day yet.) A vision in the green that matched his eyes. He had bronzed skin, like he'd just returned from St. Bart's or somewhere and his smile was to die for. Who is this guy?

I mean, I know we have a lot of people in the way back of the office doing research and stuff that I don't necessarily know living in my 4 x 6 veal cube, but how did he escape me.

He takes a chair, two away from me. I sit there, demurely (trying to stay awake) and I angle my body towards him. He reaches out to a notebook of his that's sitting in the chair between us. He fingers it. (The notebook, people...honestly!) I glance at him sidelong ways and I can see nothing but long, gold eyelashes. He's too cute for his own good.

It's not like he's falling all over me or anything, but he does give me a sweet smile. Is he for real? I want to reach out and touch him just to make sure he won't disappear.

Suddenly, though...it hits me. This guy looks wicked young. Or maybe he's just not as jaded and haggard as the other sales guys. But no...there's something about him. Something mmore.

Then the lunch break came and I got a turkey sammich. Cutie Pie returned to the seat next to me with an egg salad sammich. One of our VPs sat behind us and started talking about how he was taking his wife to Baltimore next week on vacation. That's when Cutie Pie spoke up.

"Isn't Maryland fantastic?"

Fantastic? Okay...did my gaydar just go up?

He kept on...

"In Maryland, the countryside just rolls up to meet the city."

Okay, I can dig this. I grew up in Northern Virginia, so I can identify. He likes nature. He likes cities.

Then the VP says to Cutie Pie... "Oh, are you from Maryland?"

He says, "No, but I attend Washington Bible College in Lanham, Maryland."

And, get this...turns out he's a SOPHOMORE and is interning with us! Do I feel like a cradle robber now gawking at him so long? Why, if you're in bible college, do you come intern with a software company in Boston? It just doesn't add up. And for some reason, I feel like a dirty old woman staring at him, as well as possibly needing to ask forgiveness for having lust in my heart or something.

I think I need a break. I need to go, like, watch March of the Penguins or something wholesome and improve my life.

Have a great weekend and hang loose!
Double Vee

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

WTF??? People posting ADS in my comment section? Go away!!!

10:28 PM  
Blogger little kernel said...

Vanessa, you're doing great! I love the natural flow of your writing, and your sincerity of sentiments. What a great read!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous beejay said...

I hate it when that happens. Either...comment spam or lusting after a guy who turns out to be young enough to be, erm, your younger brother. Heh.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Yeah, well, I had a dream one night. One of THOSE dreams, you know, where you wake up with a smile on your face. For a moment I just savored the moment.

Then it hit me! I had had a s-e-x dream about the teenager that works at Postnet, where I get my mail! OMG! He's like young enough to be my son!

And, of course, he's adorable and hot and smiles at everyone like they're the best thing he's seen all day...and I can no longer look him in the eye, because I feel like he will KNOW. Ugh. I'm too old for this crap. :-)
Shannon

8:45 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks for the props, Little Kernel!

LOL, beejay...had a friend in college who "accidentally" dated her roommate's little brother who was still in high school Talk about awkward!

And Shannon...ROFL...I'm sure hot Postnet guys are hard to resist. What is it about guys that work with mail and mail delivery? Is it the tight little uniforms? Is it the muscular arms from lifting so much? Mmmm...mmm...

VV

9:15 AM  
Blogger Josiah Ritchie said...

:-) A lot of people come to Washington Bible College simply to learn more about the Bible. Their goal may not be to go into the pastorate. They just want to learn more details about understanding the Bible because they love Jesus and want to know what he has to say about things in life.

http://www.bible.edu

9:42 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks Josiah...natch, I think you were missing the point of my post, but thanks so much for visiting and the info.

Double Vee

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training