Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Is blue the new black?...

Vanessa here...

Perplexed and confused. Wondering if I missed a fashion memo that was circulated during my absence. But it appears that every confounded person (males mainly) in Boson are wearing blue shirt.

Everywhere I looked this morning, I was surrounded by people wearing blue. To the left, three guys in royal blue button downs. To the right, a woman and four men in light blue shirts. Behind me, a guy in a navy blue Izod. Even a frickin' sleeping baby was wearing a light blue denim shirt. What the fuck?

I mean, I felt like I was in that scene in the movie "Being John Malkovich" where he down the secret tunnel and entered his own mind where everything was Malkovich, Malkovich, Malkovich! Only do it in blue shirts.

Honestly...I looked at my black shirt and flowerdy skirt and felt like an alien from the planet Zoltoid who was about to be stalked and punished by an alien huntress or something. (Sorry...stayed up late reading this kick ass book called Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter about an alien huntress...go buy it, say Vanessa sent you!) But still...so much blue...I just didn't know what to think of it.

Was last spring's New York Fashion Week all about the blue? Did Tommy Hilfiger send out a press release saying biz casual men could only wear the cerulean shade? Are people in a good mood and separating from their boring, staid white and women busting away from their traditional black?

I got home and went through my closet: three blue shirts.

1. A dark blue scoop neck shirt that goes with one pair of pants. I don't wear it (or the pants) because I don't own any blue shoes.

2. A light blue Liz Claiborne button up shirt that I got on sale last year at The Basement. I sweat like a pig in it.

3. A blue jean chambray company shirt, most appropriately worn by the male salesmen at tradeshows -- hence, not very flattering to anyone with any type of boobage.

Am I going to have to go to the store? Am I going to have to revamp my entire wardrobe? Is this why I don't have dates? 'Cause I still dress in my traditional black? But it looks good on me. It compliments my complextion. It smooths out the parts of me that feel like a bumpy-dough map (oh, come on...you remember making those in elementary school!) I won't give up. I won't give in.

Vanessa Virtue is a (semi) fashionable woman. They'll have to pry my black clothes out of my cold, dead hand. Okay...I'm not the NRA or Chuck Heston, but you get my stance.

So all you people out there...wear your perky, happy, bullshitty blue shirts. You'll just look like each other...and I'll stand out.

Enough for now. Tune in tomorrow for an interesting tidbit about office flirting. (Is that a teaser, or what?)

Hang loose,
Double Vee

5 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

i have several blue shirts. never thought it was weird. no i do.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Meagan said...

Holy shit. I looked around my office and there are 14 guys in blue shirts. Now I'm going to notice this all the time!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous emily said...

Thursdays are blue shirt days around here--nothing official, but it seems to be that every Thursday, meetings are filled with men in blue shirts...

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Joel said...

Um, blue has been outselling white in the business shirt market for years. It's safe. Guys don't take risks with their clothes.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Rocking colors nice man I also want to buy badger casual stuff as I recently bought some Badger Sweatshirts from this nice store.


http://www.apparelnbags.com/port-authority/fs03-extra-long-fleece-scarf.htm

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training