Friday, September 09, 2005

I've almost lost faith in mankind...

Vanessa here...

Lately, it's been all about me. And yes, I know it's my blog, so technically that's allowed, but today, I don't want to talk about Hunter, sex or the lack thereof. I want to ask a very important question...

What the fuck has happened to people?!?!

Has everyone lost their mind? Is there no sense of kindness and courtesy anymore?

At work, I heard one of our sales guys saying the most disgusting, unfathomable, nauseating things about the sitch in New Orleans and Mississippi. I won't even deem it repeatable. But it included words and phrases that shouldn't be uttered in America in 2005, followed by the ha-ha-ha-ain't-I-so-funny nervous laughter. It breaks my heart. Breaks. My. Heart, I tell you! What is wrong with people? Where is the compassion? Where is the reaching out to your fellow man?

And, it's not like I have the problems of the poor people and animals in the Katrina zone, but I've experienced a couple of things today that really blew me away and made me wonder what the fuck has happened to everyone. Have everyone gone insane? Or are they just so caught up in their own little worlds and making everything about themselves that they can't see past the end of their nose?

For example, I'm at the deli getting my sandwich for lunch today and I want to sit down. There's an open table, but it's pulled next to this table of two babbling business men. I said (very politely) "May I sit here please?" They actually looked back and forth at each other, one moved his drink to the empty table and said, "we're, umm...expecting someone else." Okay. So, I stand there with my tuna salad wondering what I do...shove it up my ass or something? Then, this couple on the other side of them got up and moved and I took their table. Mr. and Mr. Babbling Business Men sat there the whole time, playing smack ass and yuck, yuck, yuck over bottom lines and the stock market and profit statements and how this "damn hurricane has completely fucked with my stock portfolio" and never did anyone else join them. What assholes! What was wrong with me sitting there? So, I couldn't resist as they were leaving (and not cleaning up after themselves) saying sweetly, "I'm sorry your friend wasn't able to make it." And then I added..."there's the garbage can over there." They stared at me like I was some sort of crack addict. But I felt good.

Then, I had to swing by CVS to pick up some stuff. I look behind the counter and there's this woman working in the pharmacy who also works at the liquor store. Not that I have a problem with someone working two jobs, but she starts talking to this woman in front of me like she's the pharmacist. She was giving her advice on what pills to take with what and when...like she's a trained pharmacist! I mean, just because CVS gave you a white lab coat does not a pharmacist make! Then I'm thinking...well, maybe she is a pharmacist who just moonlights at the liquor. But no...her name tag reads "Technician." So when it's my turn, she says, "Hey, I know you from Old Colony Liquors" like it's the funniest coincident ever. I ask her, "what exactly is a 'technician?'" She laughs and says it's the nametag they give to everyone working behind the counter. Yes, this person who doesn't know the difference between Advil Extra Strength and a Fleet enema is giving advice to people all because she's in a white coat. And she has the nerve to say to me, "It doesn't matter what I say as long as their credit cards clear and I get paid every week."

How can people be this uncaring? This irresponsible? This...Jesus...I don't know.

You'd think with the horrific images we've seen over the past week and how we're all assessing our own lives and seeing how we can reach out to people 2,000 miles away who need our help..you'd think people would soften up just a squidge? Maybe it's a cold-hearted New England thing. Maybe it's just a selfish all-about-me thing. I don't know.

I do know that I will do everything in my power to be a kinder, gentler, more caring, giving citizen of planet earth. I promise to bus my own table, not flush my tampons down the toilet, give spare change to the homeless guy at South Station, give more money to charity, thank my friends any time they do something nice for me and not sneer at people or smart off (especially on the train.) I think if we all just followed The Golden Rule the world would be a better place.

Then again...maybe I'm just a 27 year old Pollyanna.

I'll leave you on this note for the weekend. Here's another wonderful, worthy cause to help the little victims of Hurricane Katrina. My company's kicking in on this and maybe you can help too. Check it out...Project Backpack. Please help out!

Have a great weekend, check in for eye candy and hang loose,
Double Vee

3 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

people suck. i've known that for years. hang tough girlfriend. you're a good person.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Yup, there sure are some rotten eggs out there. Sorry to hear you had to experience a higher percentage than normal.
Personally, I (oh don't throw wet noodles at me) think that the popularity of The Simpsons, Howard Stern and others who focus on the "dark and degrading" side of life lends itself to the problem of insensitivity. There are many others in that list, those are just two...anyway...you and many may not agree, but they sure make it fun to be snarky at people. After 10 years of that..don't you think some of that might have rubbed off? OK, too simplistic with regards to a more complex issue.....true. I just wish FeelGood shows were more prevelant. Shows that are in touch with the good within us all. Unfortunetely, they don't sell market share.
There are LOTS of wonderful people out there...sample would be the people who visit your site.
I hope I didn't step on any toes.
Toodles.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous emily said...

I do what I can, but I still flush 'em!
;)

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training