Wednesday, September 14, 2005

No wonder we're so unhealthy...

Vanessa here...

Aghast.

Yes, I have more to bitch about. Don't look surprised.

So, for years, I've been eating at a certain Boston restaurant cafe for lunch. I've always thought it was "healthy" or "light" or "just something simple." I've had their turkey sandwiches, their soups and their salads. But today, for the first time, I decided -- for the hell of it -- to visit their website and check out their nutritional information.

And I was horrified.

We'll call the place With Good Bread 'cause that's the translation. But it should be With a Side of Zocor thanks to the zillion fat grams, artery-busting calories and general misconception that if something's green and in a bowl it's good for you.

At lunch, I'm thinking, I'll have the Hickory Smoked Turkey Club. And for shits and giggles, I look at the nutritional information and nearly fall out of my chair:

Serving size: 12.35 oz
Servings : 1
Calories: 710
Calories from Fat: 290
Total Fat: 32g
Saturated Fat: 12g
Cholesterol: 95mg
Sodium: 2250mg
Total Carbohydrates: 59g


For a fucking turkey sandwich?!?!?!?! Am I reading this correctly? Turkey, some bread and some fixin's is 32 mother-loving grams of fat? You're not supposed to eat that in a day! And forget the carbs. That's like two days worth of South Beach consumption.

Okay, the turkey's out. I turn to the Chicken Tarragon with Field Greens. Protein. Veggies. How can this be bad? Then I nearly choke on my intake of breath:

Serving size: 12.5 oz
Servings: 1
Calories: 800
Calories from Fat: 380
Total Fat : 42g
Saturated Fat: 7g
Cholesterol : 100mg
Sodium: 1710mg
Total Carbohydrates: 71g


Jesus, Mary and Saint Joseph! This is more than the killer turkey sandwich! 42 grams of fat? For chicken and lettuce? What the hell do they do to it? Send it out for collagen injections? Run it out to FatDonald's first so it can have a Big Mac before they serve it to me? Were these chickens abused as young chicks and their coping mechanism was overeating?

Wow...so, a salad should be a good choice. Right? With Good Bread has awesome salads. Why, the little guy behind the sneeze guard makes it to order just like I like it. Of course, I nearly have a myocardial infarction, which I'm sure to have if I keep eating at With Good Bread. No wonder my skinny jeans don't fit me. Check this out...

Chicken Caesar - 530 calories; 22 grams of fat
Tuna Garden Salad - 400 calories; 24 grams of fat
Gorgonzola and Walnut Salad - 340 calories; 28 grams of fat
Turkey Medallion Cobb Salad - 370 calories; 28 grams of fat

For salad??? Salad. Salad, people. Something we think is healthy and light and good for us. Yeah, well, apparently With Good Bread saturates these nutritious greens in dressing and oil and cheese and ick. Fat and calories and heart disease, oh my!

As if I haven't proven my point, I had to check out the soups. How many times on a winter afternoon do Griz and I bundle up and trudge through the snow to With Good Bread to warm up and have a "little" cup of soup. Well, check this out...

Broccoli Cheddar - 230 calories; 16 grams of fat
Chicken Stew - 230 calories; 12 grams of fat
Clam Chowder - 240 calories; 16 grams of fat
Corn Chowder - 240 calories; 13 grams of fat
Potato Leek - 190 calories; 14 grams of fat

Okay, I'll give them this, they do have some "light" soups and stews that fall in the 1-6 grams of fat range and that's cool. But then, you add a baguette with it and that makes the fat grams sour. So, see, you think you're doing good by getting this light soup, but when it's said and done, you're still piling up the calories and fat grams.

This was a real eye-opener for me. And I certainly won't be casually eating whatever I want at With Good Bread without thinking through the purchase. Who ever knew a turkey sandwich could cause such damage? Or a cup of clam chowder would be around for the entire winter?

And we won't even talk about All-Chicken-All-Day Mara and her Wendy's triple by-pass burger and fries she had for lunch and ate in under 15 minutes. That girl's arteries must look like the autobahn during rush hour.

Please people...take care of yourselves! Don't eat this crap! Save yourselves while you can. Live log, healthy, happy lives.

Course, with no sex, I should at be eating everything in sight. But then, I want to be fit and trim so I can tease and coerce him into having sex with me. LOL!

Hang loose,
Double Vee

4 Comments:

Anonymous cheryl said...

God, that makes me feel fatter just reading that.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous j said...

maybe morgan spurlock should have done super size me on this instead of mcdonalds.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

LOL!
What an epiphany,eh?
I did that once with salt.
Had to decrease it and once I started looking at labels, I was hyperventilating from shock..who knew?
So yeah, I've had that eye-goggle moment.
Thanks for caring enough to share the warning and your story.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Zocor Side Effects said...

My name is Todd Thomas and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zocor.

I am 55 years old. Have been on Zocor for 4 years now. Zocor did lower my cholesterol. I also have RA and did not know which caused pain stopped Zocor, pain improved dramatically, but weakness remains. Dr says permanent damage. Now I my cholesterol is high.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
Leg pain and weakness

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Todd Thomas

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training