Monday, October 17, 2005

A little perspective, please...

Vanessa here...

You know, I'm as much of a pop-culture whore as the next person. I pepper my speech with hip, hot references. I watch all the hit TV shows. I can hold my own in a movie-quote-a-thon. I gather in the coffee at work and yack it up my colleagues, catching up on all the latest poop in the internet and events shaking the earth...literally.

But let's have some perspective here, people...

In India, a horrid earthquake reeked havoc and destruction. Tens of thousands of people are dead. Dead, people! They're talking a death toll of over 50,000! That's unfathomable! I mean, we Americans were devastated and horrified over the death of 2,500 of our fellow Americans on 9/11 and we all cried and opened our pocketbooks to the charitable efforts of Hurricane Katrina and her victims...but can we truly comprehend the loss of 50,000 lives?

Apparently not the people in my office...because all they care about and all they were talking about today was fricking, pregnant Katie Wanking Holmes.

Oh, well, excuse me for wanting to be a humanitarian and get some sort of company effort going to provide some relief for the poor souls left in Kashmir. But nooooooo....the little divas back in Research, filling up their designer coffee mugs with the free Starbuck's in the office, all they could talk about was Katie.

"Oh, what it must be like to be pregnant with Tom Cruise's baby."

"You know, she's so dedicated to being a mother that she stepped away from her latest movie."

"They make such a darling couple!"

It would be a disservice of me if I did not adequately attack each of these points:

1. First of all, I'm no expert and I've never (personally) slept with Tom Cruise so I can't be 100% sure, but I do read the tabloids and I have a couple of friends who work in Hollywood. There are two schools of thought that dear Tom is shooting blanks or he prefers his own kind. So, Precious Katie may be pregnant, but I'll give my right boob if Tom's the shooter. Their religion creeps me out to high heaven and I get a complete Stepford Wives sensation from the PR handling, the controlled interviews and the doe-eyed appearances. Katie may be pregnant, but I honestly don't think it's going to come out looking remotely like the Tomster. I mean...does this kiss look real or anything but staged?!



2. See aforementioned commentary on their religion. Katie has no thoughts of her own. She's manhandled and spun and prepped and protected. Try getting her (or Tom) to answer anything off the cuff with out a Scientologist nearby for correction or explanation. And really, is it such a loss for Planet Earth for Katie to pull out of movies? Does anyone even remember her in Batman Begins? Could there have been any less chemistry between two screen stars? Remember, one of the beefs the Tominator supposebly (Tribute to Joey Tribiani) had with Nicole was she wanted to be a bigger star than him. He wanted her home with their adopted (read...adopted!) kids, but Nicole couldn't play that. Seems that Katie's much more pliable.

3. Well, I'm just gagging over that one. I used to think Tom Cruise was awesome, but he's just gone off the cliff into the Valley of Freakdom. I hope they live happily ever after and have lots of little Scientologists to propagate their religion, but I, personally, will be keeping my consumer dollars in my back pocket instead of supporting their mega-blockbuster, soon-to-be-doomed movies.

To feel better about my world, I quickly wrote out a check to the United Way campaign going on at work (American Cancer Society) and encouraged others to do the same. I also sent some money to the International Red Cross to do something...anything to help the folks in India.

Isn't that a little more worthy than Katie-Tom worship?

Just my $2.50...

Hang loose,
Double Vee

9 Comments:

Anonymous beejay said...

Can't vouch for the airheads, but I think many of us are a little bit numb. Esp. here in the States, with out "it can't happen here" mentality, when it does, not once but again and again, we're reeling. And the tsunami is still very fresh in people's minds. It's been a scary millenium, so far.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous lisa said...

You go, V! I'm right behind you. :-)

8:38 PM  
Anonymous j said...

you're so right. they're the ultimate in creepiness.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous cheryl said...

Wow, VV, you're insight is dead-on. We do tend to get caught up in things that don't really matter so much in the big picutre of things. Good for you donating. I think I'll see if I can do something, too.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Good for you, Vanessa. I too find it strange that after ten years of marriage, Nicole only got pregnant once and then had a miscarriage. My feeling is that TC has a very low sperm count which is why they adopted. This baby clearly must be a turkey baster job. Nicole was very young when Tom met her, and he tried to mold her until she developed a mind of her own. Remember, when she seemed little more than a Stepford wife until the divorce? Tommy C. seems to need to be the big cheese in any relationship and woe to any woman who has other plans. I hope Katie is happy being a wife and mother and only acting in a few movies over the next few years. By the way, have we ever heard of TC donating any of ginormous money to the relief efforts? Or is he too busy jumping on couches.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kathy Holmes said...

I may have to change my name. :)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Oh Kathy!!! I didn't pick up on that. You're certainly not Katie Wanking Holmes! :)

VV

1:58 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I agree.
I never liked Tom , even when every else did.
Only saw Top Gun once.
That was enough.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, yes Tom did gave money and help for the hurricane. Not nicole by the way.
Also, nicole was 22 and Tom 25 when they married. Who was innocent?
Also, Nicole made more movies than Tom when they were married; So Tom was a Stepford husband? after all, it is not because his movies were success and not nicole's that he wasn't suppose to stay at home babysitting.
Hum? he has a low sperm? thank you doc, I didn't check. So it is Tom's fault if nicole had ONLY ONE miscarriage? not because she is skinny (medical stuff, don't try to figure out) of course.
Yet it is funny that everyone tend to forget who Mimi Rogers is and what she did. From her endoctrination of Tom to her false quotes.

You are angry people who should calm down and take famous people for what they are: human beings.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training