Tuesday, October 04, 2005

New TV Season...

Vanessa here...

It's October, so that means we're fully fledged into the new TV season. I've come to accept that reality TV is just part of life, so I need to quit fighting it and just go with the flow, as Griz is constantly telling me to do about everything.

But, I'm pleased to see the return of scripted shows and I'm finding myself with a little something to watch almost every night of the week:

Monday

Kitchen Confidential on FOX. Loosely based on the kitchen tell-all bestseller by renowned chef Tony Bourdain, this chronicles the challenges of Jack Bourdain as he climbs his way back up the culinary ladder after a bout with alcohol, drugs and a little too much of a sex addiction. There's a colorful cast, realistic restaurant situations and you just don't know if Jack can resist temptation.

Tuesday

My Name is Earl on NBC at 9:00 p.m. Starring Jason Lee and the guy who played the retarded banjo player in Cold Mountain, this is the funniest damn thing I've seen in years. Earl Hickey was a horrible person. His wife slept around on him (had a couple of other men's children) and Earl was a total thief. However, after seeing an interview with Carson Daly where he talked about karma, Earl decides to turn over a new leaf and writes a list of 258 (or so) items of things he's done wrong that must right. Which have included so far, finding a date for the gay guy he used to pick on in high school and fessing up to the friend of his who went to jail for something Earl did, only to discover that they guy found Jesus and this mother beat the crap out of Earl with a large print Bible. This is hilarious!!!

Wednesday

America's Next Top Model on UPN at 8:00 p.m. Cycle 5, baby! So far, I have to say, this crop of model wannabes is so much improved over last year's completely forgettable cast who could barely speak or read to save their lives, much less model or pose. This cycle, we have a girl with a self-proclaimed "pretty gene" (she's gone), a Texas big-haired beauty queen (Tyra cut all her hair off), a lesbian who looks like a Benetton ad and the girl with big-assed cantaloupe lips who's already grubbed out with her. There's also Lisa, Nik, Bre, Coryn (who was remade to look like Tyra) and Jayla who all look fantab in front of the camera. Makes you think Scott Westerfeld's UGLIES might one day come true! I dearly miss Janice Dickinson and her replacement Twiggy quips such sarcastic things as: "I don't like it..." and "Oh, you're so mean." Not the same, but still an entertaining way to spend a Wednesday night.

Thursday

Since ABC decided not to renew the very smart, hip and fun Jake in Progress and since NBC's Joey just ain't doing it for me, I'm turning in on the brilliantly written Everyone Hates Chris on UPN, based on Chris Rock's childhood. This show gives us something we haven't had on TV in years -- poor people struggling in America. It's warm and funny and understandable and laugh-out-loud funny. Especially with Rock's voice over and the natural cast.

Friday and Saturday nights are reserved for going out with friends, potential dates and movies, dinner and/or drinks.

Sunday

That brings me to the busiest night of the week: Sunday night at 9:00 p.m. is the new black. Anyone who's anyone puts their hit on at this time and find myself flipping around...

Desperate Housewives - I've been watching this show since the pilot and I think it's really lost it's oomph and quirkiness that made it so unique. Now, it's just a bunch of bitchy, predictable, backstabbing, unredeeming women and the men in their lives. The only interesting thing so far this season is: who does Alfre Woodard have locked in her basement?

So, I flip to the Family Guy, but it's not enough of Stewie and Brian and I want Peter to die in a pool of his own vomit. Pimp My Ride is in repeats, which leaves me waiting until 10:00 p.m.

Grey's Anatomy is a great show. Loves, loves, loves it! Been watching it since episode #1 last summer when it was a replacement. Smart, well-written, good drama mixed with realistic humor. It chronicles the days and nights of interns and attending physicians at Seattle's Grace Hospital. And, did I mention it has Patrick Dempsey? Need I say more? Watch it!

Which leaves me watching the fifth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm on OnDemand on Mondays...but it's well worth the wait.

So, that's me...Ebert to your Ropert. Do you agree with me? What are your favs so far this season? Let us hear!

Hang loose,
Double Vee

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Holmes said...

Thanks for the "Kitchen Confidential" tip. Love Anthony's show on the Travel Channel and must see this show, too. And I agree about DH - not watching it anymore.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

V- Have you tried American Dad? I have to watch it for work, and it's pee in your pants funny. Disagree with you about the Housewives. Still adore it. You stick around after Kitchen Confidential and watch the adorable Wentworth Miller in Prison Break.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous lisa stone hardt said...

I miss Janice Dickinson, too!!!

What *is* it about that show that makes me keep watching? I swear, it's like a car wreck...

1:16 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

>>What *is* it about that show that makes me keep watching? I swear, it's like a car wreck...<<

It's like CRACK!!!!

VV

1:39 PM  
Anonymous emily said...

I can't believe I have to wait a month for new House episodes! Damn baseball playoffs! :(

I've been drawn into the 'Top Model' web...LMAO at the cantelope lip comment!

Are you watching 'The Apprentice'..the original, not that Martha crap!
The guys are soooo cocky! That Marcus HAS to go soon! He's an idiot!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training