Monday, November 14, 2005

Pet peeves...

Vanessa here...

I'm at a loss over what to blog about today. I was all set to regale you with my chefdom and share the amazing, rustic grilled chicken, spinach, prosciutto and artichoke pasta in a creamy sauce that I was preparing for dinner. However, the digital camera pooped out on me. Guess one needs to buy batteries every now and then. So now what do I talk about?

Well, Diana brought up a pet peeve today, so I got to thinking about my pet peeves...
  1. People who correct me. The only people who are allowed to still correct me at my age are my mother, Vivian, and my father, Colonel Stanley Virtue. They created and birthed me and on some level, I will always be their baby. My boss, Aislin, has the right to correct me on work matters. However, no one else has the right to shush me, tell me to "calm down" or otherwise issue dictations, instructions or orders. This all goes back to my desperate desire that everyone in the world just mind their own business.
  2. People who take up more than one seat on the T. What is it with these businessmen who have to spread their legs so wide that it takes up two perfectly good seats? Or these hip-hop kids giving their school backpacks their own precious seat while pregnant and/or old women hang on and teeter. Or my favorite...the person who sits in the outside seat, thereby blocking off the inside seat from the possibility of anyone sitting there. It's called public transportation for a reason, people.
  3. People who end every sentence with "you know what I mean?" This is a tactic to get me to respond to everything you've said to me or to prove that I heard you. Don't do this? Because you know what? I may not know (or care) what the fuck you mean. I swear, once you notice someone doing this, it will drive you to drink.
  4. People who are impatient at the salad bar. I always panic when I'm at the salad bar for fear that I'm not going fast enough or speeding through the vegetables in the manner the pushy person behind me wants me to. Most of the time, I step back, let them go ahead of me and say, "please go ahead, I like to take my time." Really freaks them out. But honestly, how fast do you have to go picking through mushrooms, cucumbers, feta and eggs? Take a moment and enjoy the chopped veggies, people.
  5. People who don't proofread their e-mails. I have a very low tolerance for typos in general, but I hate when people at work can't take the time to proofread or check their spelling or format. Business correspondence is now electronic, so you need to put your best foot forward and be professional at all times. Take the time to make sure your e-mail doesn't read: "how many vcation daysdo i have let?"
  6. People who start trouble and then blame everyone else for it. There's this sales guy at work who starts dramas all the time, accusing people of all sorts of stupid, meaningless shit. Everyone gets freaked out, they have words, meetings have to be set up to settle the stupidity all for nothing and then this guy points the finger of blame at everyone but himself. It's so sixth grade of him. He's 42 years old, he should start acting it.
  7. People who say they're on diets but eat like pigs. Either be on a diet or don't be. Don't talk about it, just do it. Don't get a steak and cheese with extra mayonnaise and then cry to your friend and say, "why isn't my stomach flat?" Well, it's because you eat cow, cheese and fat every day. There's this chick Griz and I know who's flitted from Jenny Craig to Weight Watchers to South Beach to Atkins. All she does is talk about dieting, yet, she gets Wendy's Burger King and a variety of local delis and take out places. Either take care of yourself or don't.
  8. People who walk out in front of cars and dare them not to hit them. This may just be a Boston thing, but what is it with pedestrians who walk out in front of a two ton vehicle and eyeball the driver with that "I dare you" look in their eyes. If you're in a crosswalk, well, sure...but this crossing in the middle of the street or just wherever you please, well hell, you deserve to get hit by a car. Boston has this astronomical number of pedestrians hit by cars and it's no wonder. Here's a clue...the little white walky guy means you can cross. The orange hand up means, don't!
  9. People who let their dog poopie on the street. Ewww...clean it up! 'Nuff said!
  10. People who can't laugh at themselves. Laughter is the best medicine. Laughter is universal and powerful and such a wonderful thing. Everyone should calm down, loosen up, enjoy life more and just let out a good belly laugh every now and then. And especially laugh at yourself. It'll feel great. I do it on a regular basis.

There you have it. Nothing too outlandish and I took up a bunch of blogging space.

What are your pet peeves? Feel free to share!

I'm off to eat my pasta...

Hang loose,
Double Vee

6 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

have to say i agree with you whole-heartedly on these. my pet peeve is those annoying kiddie cars at the grocery stores. it's not a playground!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous cheryl said...

I have a woman that I work with that is always losing her mind (PMSing) and accusing people of stealing her pens or moving her chair or stuff and she always goes off and is always wrong and never apologizes and then everyone gets all upset over nothing. I hate when people do that. (Course, with this woman, her husband left her, so its probably a manifestation of that. TMI.)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who pick their noses and wipe it in public places when they think no one is watching.

People who only send you a Christmas card after they've gotten the one you send.

People who wear too much perfume.

People who post anonymously on blogs. ;-)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Anon...you crack me up!!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous ME said...

My pet peeve - people who forward emails with all the previous 'forwards' attached. I hate that.

And J - how can you hate those kiddie cars? You're right that grocery stores aren't playgrounds but they do keep kids entertained. Which leads me to my other pet peeve - people who can't control their kids and let them run wild in stores!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Mel Francis said...

I hate hate hate passive-aggressive people. HATE THEM.

too much perfume. Especially if it's Tresor. Sorry to those who love it--but I once worked with this chick (not chic) named Judy who bathed in Tresor...and everyday before lunch, she'd lotion with it and be sure to spritz herself with it--just for good measure.

I was 3 months pregnant.

I vomited everyday during lunch time because of that poison she bathed in.

Okay. End rant.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training