Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The first flakes...

Vanessa here...

And no, I'm not talking about the need for Head and Shoulders to combat dandruff. I'm talking about the first flakes of the winter season.

Boston is dotted and decorated with a lovely, thin layer of our first snow of the year.



As I walked to work this morning, tiny twinges of icy snow touched my nose, my cheeks, my hair, tickling me with the reminder that cold days were ahead for the foreseeable future. I was moved by the beauty of the cloudy, gray sky and the fact that everyone walking around me was bundled up in their fleece, wool and all weather gear.

There's something peaceful and serene about that first snow of the year as it dances about the sky, falling gracefully to the sidewalk. The nip of the winter air, watching your breath and pulling the collar of your coat tighter.

With the winter comes the promise of rest and relaxation, crawling under the covers, maybe cuddling with the one you love, warming up to a mug of something hot and steamy. A time to catch up on movies you've missed, to sit with popcorn and gorge out on college bowl games. The season for love, peace, hope, a new beginning before the new year starts and we do it all over again.

So, as I await the next patch of snowstorms schedule to slash through the Boston area, I'll enjoy the nights under the comforter, the two pairs of socks and the thick tights I'll have to wear. And when April comes and there's still frozen brown slush all over the place, remind me of this epiphany and love of winter. By then, I'll be looking for a tanning bed to start my preparation for summer.

Let me know what you think of winter...what you enjoy about it and how it makes you feel.

Hang loose,
Double Vee

4 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

Okay, that was way too poetic for me.

I just think of scraping my car off in the morning and having to walk out there in my pj's to heat the bloody thing up. And then I'm always wearing no socks, so snow gets down my husband's shoes and freezes my ankles ... that's what I'm looking forward to .. :)


Oh, and it's pretty I guess ...

11:22 PM  
Anonymous j said...

yeah, i think about how the trains are slower, the buses won't stop for you and how it takes an extra thirty minutes to go anywhere. course, i see the nostalgia of that first snow. it's something different. it's pretty. enjoy it 'cause we're going to be seeing it for a while.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

I'm just trying to be positive. Believe me...you will have to remind me of this post at the end of January when I'm bitching, moaning and carping about how cold it is, how I can't feel my toes and how it takes and hour and a half to get to work. LOL!

VV

8:10 AM  
Blogger Kathy Holmes said...

There is something compelling about the scene you describe. I'd love to be cozy around a fireplace - the almost relentless warm Florida sunshine is getting to me. But too much of either is not good. No wonder the snowbirds attempt to live in both worlds.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training