Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I think I've taken it too far...

Vanessa here...

Well, I think it's official now that Jolly thinks I'm either a freak or a stalker.

Here's how Vanessa Virtue made a giant ass of herself at work today.

  1. When I got into work, I saw him in the elevator as the door was closing. I couldn't help shouting out, "hold the elevator!" The other person in there held it and I got in and smiled at him and tried to make a joke about him closing the door on me. Dumbass me couldn't see he had earphones on and couldn't hear a damn thing I was saying.
  2. Later, I got up to get something off the printer and I saw him go into the kitchen. So, I hurried my step to the kitchen to get some more coffee and he was in there. I said hey and moved close to get to the coffee. He seemed more interested in the mini-moos than me, so I finished up and left.
  3. The research team was in a meeting in one of the glassed conference rooms and for some reason, I chose that moment to visit Griz's cube, which is near the conference room. I kept tossing my head back and laughing and she was like "what the hell is wrong with you" and I couldn't tell her I was trying to get Jolly to notice me instead of paying attention to the meeting he was in. When I looked into the room, I saw he was staring down at his notepad.
  4. I was coming back from lunch and we were both at the front door at the same time. He offered to put his code into the keypad, but I insisted. Of course, I typed it in wrong, twice. What a dork! He did hold the door open for me and let me go ahead. Nice guy.
  5. Finally, at the end of the day, I saw him get in the elevator and so I bolted down the stairs to get to the bottom floor the same time he did. He said to me, "Getting some exercise?" I just smiled and said, "something like that." He wished me a good night and then that was it.

What. An. Idiot. Could I be more obvious in my attraction to him? I mean, I didn't plan all of the encounters, but seriously, Jolly's going to take a restraining order out on me. I couldn't help myself.

I'm reminded of Cher Horowitz in the movie Clueless where she says if you want to get a boy to notice you, you have to draw attention to yourself. Remember? She sends herself candy and love notes and flowers and drops her pen and pulls her sweater off her shoulders? Course, I'm no bombshell like Alicia Silverstone and she did attract a gay guy in the movie, but the theory seems to be out there and women wouldn't do it if it didn't work (like Wendy T. sitting in her future hubby's lap the night she met him) so it can be the start of a relationship.

Maybe I do need to calm down and back off. I don't want to get reprimanded or fired. It was just one dance and one brief hand hold. He may have been blitzed. He may not even remember it.

I must chill, eh?

Please continue with the advice...you're my anchor...my touch stone. You keep me sane.

Hang loose,

Double Vee

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Hey V. Yeah, I think you're trying just a little too hard. You need to rethink your strategy or at least come up with some interesting things to say when you do run into him. He may have a girlfriend. What exactly do you know about this guy. And what kind of name is Jolly?

11:02 AM  
Anonymous j said...

i'm embarassed for you. leave the guy alone.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks Elizabeth! I don't know much about him, so I'm learning. I call him "Jolly" because I'm trying to protect his identity. He smiles a lot and is tall, so I'm calling him Jolly as in The Jolly Green Giant. = )

j...it's not like I planned ALL of those encounters. Just over anxious, what can I say?

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

V, I won't diss or judge you as I've done exactly the same thing. Not recently as I now have a live-in boyfriend, but I have done all sorts of stupid shit to get a guys attention. I think it's something inherant to women to want to make yourself more appealing and everyone wants to get noticed.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous cheryl said...

You do work in the same office. The guy has to expect to see you some of the time. That's the nature of an office. You should get a friend to find out if he has a girlfriend or something.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training