Thursday, March 02, 2006

The $hit-rain continues to fall...

Vanessa here...

Unbelievable, folks...just... Un. Be. Lievable.

Guess who broke her freaking foot today?

Yeah...Vanessa "Grace" Virtue...that's who!

It wasn't my fault, though. So, I had to go downtown this morning before work to pick up some proofs at the ad agency. I get to Arlington Street and the escalator doesn't work. (What? I'm lazy!) I'm in the line to go up the stairs and people are in this terrible hurry, so I bound right along.

Then, I get up to the top and am heading to the surface.

There's someone behind me.

I feel like I'm being chased. I speed up.

Mr. Cell Phone Bastard is behind me, so I hold on to the railing and twist to get out of his way. He f*cking knocks into me, causing me to go off balance and...fall UP the steps.

Like...OUCH!!!

And the son of a bitch never stops!

Immediately, I knew something was wrong. I tried to take a step. Nothing. Another one. Ouch! I hobble up the two remaining stairs and stand there, bent over chanting, "oh, my God....oh, my God..."

This nice, young Asian woman stops and says, "Are you okay?"

I say, "No, I'm not."

Then she walks away.

HELLO!!!

As I'm bent over trying to figure out what to do and how to walk this (are you ready for this?) panhandler comes over and asks me for change!

I said, "I'm just in a little bit of pain here..."

Tool.

GOD...I love this city! Only in Boston would get friggin' panhandled as you're doubled over in pain. At least he didn't call me a "c*nt-face" like I've been called before. (Insert heavy sigh.)

I sit on the wall of the Arlington Street Church and call William at work. Twenty minutes later, he arrives to get me and we head to the hospital. They wheel me in immediately and the doctor takes one look at the swelling and says, "Yeah, that's broken."

Broken.

My foot.

Now, I'm in this lovely, fashionable (not!) walking cast that William lovingly refers to as "the elephant foot" and I have an even prettier hospital regulation cane.

And wasn't I just saying the other day that Griz is the poster child for Shit Happens? Hmmm...maybe I need to rethink this.

Cards, candies, flowers and balloons can be sent to me at my Cambridge home.

Hang loose,
Double Vee...the gimp

5 Comments:

Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Oh, you poor thing! I'm heading into the orthopedic surgeons in a couple week just for my toe that is still giving me trouble when someone stomped on it the last night of celebration of National in Reno. I can't even imagine having my entire foot broken! :-( Just remember, pain pills are a marvelous thing!

Christina

7:56 PM  
Anonymous j said...

jesus, vanessa, you are a poster child for shit happens. hope you hunted down the bastard who knocked you over.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks you guys! Poor Christina with the toe injury. Ouch! Hope it's better soon.

It didn't break the entire foot. Imagine that. There are like 26 bones in the foot and I just broke one of them. The doctor said I had "nice bones" (yeah, you too, cutie), so it should only be two weeks. Let's hope so.

VV

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two weeks for a broken foot?!? Not to bust your bubble but you're talking more like 2 months! OUCH!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Virtue said...

Thanks Anon, but it really is only one metatarsal and both doctors said it would only be two weeks...so hopefully they're right!

I just hate bringing attention to myself and let me tell you, Bostonians don't give a rat's ass about the handicapped. I get passed by, stared at and talked down to. I may have to do a whole other blog about THAT!

Hang loose,
VV

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training