Thursday, March 09, 2006

On to something more interesting...

Vanessa here...

And no, I won't gross you out with further pictures of "My Left Foot," although, I have to say it looks a lot worse than it is. I managed to walk last night without a limp. Course, this morning, it hurt like blue-blazing hell...so...

Instead of talking about my foot, I'll talk about my...food! See, change one letter and you get a whole new blog topic.

I'd promised to share my jambalaya recipe with Pam and have been remiss to do so. (Been a little occupied with popping percocet.) But, I thought I'd share my Mardi Gras party recipes with you. Yeah, yeah...I know it's past Mardi Gras, but anytime is a great time to have some yummy food. Think of making this over the summer and serving it to a group of friends. It'll be tres impressive. (And Diana...yes, you can make this too!)

And the best thing about this recipe is it's a Weight Watchers recipe...so it's not so bad for you.

Here we go...

Jambalaya

1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast cut into chunks
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, small, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup long-grain white rice
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (College Inn is the best)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 pound turkey kielbasa (or chorizo) cut into 1/4 inch slices

Makes 6 servings
325 calories
8 grams of fat
7 WW Points

Get your mise en place together...that's the French term for having all of your ingredients, bowls and utensils necessary for a dish’s preparation in place and ready to start cooking. Here's mine...


Sprinkle the chicken and shrimp with the Cajan seasoning. Heat the oil in the large nonstick deep skillet (I'm using a paella pan) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and the shrimp is opaque in the center - about 4 minutes.





Transfer chicken and shrimp to a bowl.

Add the onion, bell peppers, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until tender, about 8 minutes.



Stir in the rice, cook 1 minute. Add the broth, tomatoes and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender - about 20 minutes.



Add the chicken, shrimp and kielbasa (or chorizo) and cook until heated through, about 3 miutes.



Serving size is about a cup and a half and it's waaaaaaay yummy!!!

Oh, and don't forget my King Cake! That took forever to make, but it was well worth the effort. And I found the hidden coin!



Next Mardi Gras, you'll have to come to my party! I promise not to break any more bones.

Hang loose,
Double Vee

1 Comments:

Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Um, okay, from feet to food. Quite an interesting segue. No doubt the Percoset playing a little part in that? LOL! But kudos for the King Cake. I'm impressed! :-)

Christina

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Training